Hello. I’m Charles and this is Silversuit, my website.
I live and work in England.
On this site I write about some of the things I care about: the World Wide Web, design, code, data, nature, art, science, culture and quality. I am particularly interested in the intersection of people, technology, art, and science. I do not claim to be an expert in any of these things (very far from it).
I have been into computers since I was ten, and worked with them professionally since I was sixteen, which amounts to over 30 years. I love computers. I have been programming, designing and building things with PCs for most of those 30 years. I have worked as a graphic designer, a web designer, a biodiversity data manager, a GIS analyst, a teacher, an IT technician, a financial researcher, and a director. The work I do currently for the Field Studies Council is digital development and strategy.
As a proud generalist, I think the job title of webmaster should make a comeback. Or, better yet, webmeister.
I also have a keen interest in Stoic philosophy and mindfulness.
About this site
This site was built on a PC running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I’m a geek and my tools matter to me. Here's a rundown of my gear:
- Lenovo ThinkPad T540p laptop
- Intel Core i7-4710MQ (Haswell)
- 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3
- 3K 15” FlexView Display (2880x1620)
- Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
- Crucial MX300 Solid State Drive 1TB
- Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitor
- Transcend StoreJet 25M3 1TB external hard drive
- Lenovo Laser Wireless Mouse
- Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000 headset
- Anker 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub
- Anker PowerLine Micro USB cables
The Software (in alphabetic order)
- Affinity Designer by Serif
- Affinity Photo by Serif
- Backblaze by Backblaze, Inc
- Beyond Compare by Scooter Software
- Chrome by Google
- ConEmu by Maximus
- Cyberduck by iterate GmbH
- Edge by Microsoft
- FileOptimizer by Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro (Guti)
- Firefox Developer Edition by Mozilla
- Git for Windows by the Git for Windows community
- Inkscape by the Inkscape open source community
- KeePass by Dominik Reichl
- ManicTime by Finkit
- Navicat by PremiumSoft
- NotePad2-mod by XhmikosR
- Office 365 by Microsoft
- OneNote by Microsoft
- Opera Developer by Opera
- paint.net by dotPDN
- PowerShell by Microsoft
- RIOT by Lucian Sabo
- Screenpresso by LEARNPULSE SAS
- SourceTree by Atlassian
- SQL Server Management Studio by Microsoft
- Visual Studio 2017 by Microsoft
- Visual Studio Code by Microsoft
- WinSCP by Martin Prikryl
Web and Server Tooling
- Content management is provided by the open source Umbraco CMS, which is based on C# and ASP.NET, and built by the lovely Umbraco community. #H5YR.
- The web server is Microsoft’s IIS; the database SQL Server.
- Hosting is provided by Pipe Ten.
- CDN provided by CloudFlare and BackBlaze B2
The typeface used throughout this site is Fira Sans designed for Mozilla Foundation by Erik Spiekermann and Ralph Du Carrois @ Edenspiekermann in Berlin.
Big props to the inline-block Slack community. You people rock.